Applications of Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR)
GPR Surveys can provide accurate depth estimates, identify sub surface anomalies, and provide 2D and 3D images. Under favourable conditions, GPR can also provide precise information regarding the physical nature of the subsurface objects.
GPR is a versatile tool, but requires specialist expertise to match the best unit to the best application to get optimum results.
Hydrosave uses Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) for a range of applications.
Utility Location and Mapping
In the context of Utility Location and Mapping, it is used as a complementary survey tool. Examples of applications include:-
- To confirm the location of a radio detection anomaly
- Improvement of depth estimates
- Detection of additional features
- Location of plastic pipes
- Locating large volume and long running water leaks
- Rapid reconnaissance surveys
Road Rail and Infrastructure
In a wider road, rail and infrastructure context, GPR can be used for
- Asphalt layer surveys
- Identification of sinkholes
- Deterioration of base road and rail ballast
- Sub surface structures beneath manmade objects
- Bridge foundation/footing surveys
- Wall anomalies and thickness
- Sub surface tunnel anomalies
- The quality control of repairs – real time monitoring of the injection of specialist grouts and the latest polymer resins